Kissing my IUD bye

by Amber Stiles on March 29, 2010

I’ve been thinking of having my IUD removed since I got it really.  It’s weirded me out having a plastic “T” living inside of me.  You’d think, after having another person grow in there I’d be just fine with anything.  Today I saw this post over at Peaceful Parenting, and it reminded me I want it gone.

Rebecca from Girls Gone Child even wrote about having hers removed, here at Straight From the Bottle, right after I had mine inserted.  Reading her accounts, and the slew of others, made me really think twice about my decision to have a foreign body chillin’ out in my uterus.

I wanted to love it.  I wanted it to be the magic bullet that kept me baby free for the next 5 years.  I even fought with my old doctor years ago, years before I had a child, to let me get one.  They rarely give childless women the option for fear of being sued in case it screws up your chances to have children down the road. I was pissed though, because I had let this same doctor laser off part of my cervix to make sure any precancerous cells didn’t survive.  The same risk was taken…though I guess it was “for my health” rather than just for birth control.

I’ve been spotting since day one.  I actually thought I got my period back in January.  But I guess that was just the IUD settling in to it’s new home.  I was placed on a round of antibiotics after the “period” ended but the spotting did not.  Well the drugs worked for a while, but they also brought on a horrible case of thrush in both myself and my babe.  Not something I’m willing to do again.  And I’m still freakin’ spotting!

Not only are my insides leaking out, but I’m breaking out.  My face looks like I’ve reverted back to my teen years (though, to be honest, I had nicer skin in H.S. than I do now).  It may sound vain, but who cares?  I want my pretty skin back!

Another thing I’m concerned with is the fact that I’ve yet to stop breastfeeding.  When I do stop, it might be nice to actually let my body recover from all the added hormones and level out.

So I’ve scheduled an appointment with my OB/GYN to have it yanked tomorrow morning.

Carla March 29, 2010 at 10:09 am

Ugh. Figuring out birth control can be so hard. I remember crying for weeks the first time I went on the pill before I figured out what was going on. Good luck finding the right option!
.-= Carla´s last blog ..The Sleepover Update – Finally! =-.

Amber March 29, 2010 at 2:52 pm

I was on the pill for years and years, but I really don’t want to be on any hormonal BC. I had wanted the Paragaurd (the copper IUD), but my doc wouldn’t give it to me :-(

Danielle March 29, 2010 at 10:18 am

Wow, that really sounds horrible. One of my friends has an IUD, and she’s never had kids, and she LOVES it, but said it hurt a LOT to have it placed since her cervix wasn’t broken or something. Egads! Do you know what you will try? Hulu keeps showing me ads for NuvaRing…I wonder how that compares.
.-= Danielle´s last blog ..Healthy revolution =-.

Amber March 29, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Mine hurt like hell going in too! They say it doesn’t hurt coming out though…fingers crossed! No NuvaRing for me though…guess we’ll be back to condoms?

Jessica March 29, 2010 at 11:15 am

I have an IUD too and I have been questioning it for quite a while now. I haven’t really had any issues with spotting, but I also thought I got my period a while ago, which was probably just the IUD cause it hasn’t happened since.
But I think the IUD (along with zoloft) is making my sex drive non-existent (literally, it’s not there at all)
.-= Jessica´s last blog ..Little-to-Big Wool Cover Review =-.

Amber March 29, 2010 at 2:55 pm

My sex drive sucks to begin with…gonna guess the IUD isn’t helping any. I really want to see what I’m like off all hormones for a while, specially after I’m don’t BFing and everything normalizes :-)

Kami March 29, 2010 at 11:52 am

This is not the result I was hoping for, dude. I’m not spotting anymore, but I am being a raving bitch for no apparent reason. Possibly IUD related? Your guess is as good as mine. I hope you find another option that works. I really liked the patch, back in the day. That’s gonna be my go-to if this thing doesn’t work out. Kisses!
.-= Kami´s last blog ..WTF, Mother Nature? =-.

Amber March 29, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Hmmm I wondering if I’ve been super bitchy because of it too! We can just say I have ok? That’s the best excuse I’ve got.
Hope yours works out better for you though, have you had any other issues?

Kami March 29, 2010 at 3:58 pm

umm, yeah. A massive, impossible to rid of yeast infection (the only other one I’ve ever had was when I was pregnant with my first), Breast tenderness, constant bloated feeling, and the need to use pantyliners always. But, I’ve only had it in for about a month. I promised myself I’d give it a fair shot…
.-= Kami´s last blog ..WTF, Mother Nature? =-.

Amber March 29, 2010 at 7:30 pm

Oh babe! You might as well be pregnant :-/ I am SOOOO sick of pantyliners. Have to use like 3 a day over here. YUCK YUCK YUCK!!!!

I think mine has put me in a constant state of PMS. I’m peeing more, eating more, craving more junk, breaking out, leaking. Yeah…it’s like the week before my period has lasted 3 months.

Sarah MommyElephant March 29, 2010 at 3:39 pm

I’ve never had an IUD, and never planned on getting one, so I have no advice for you on it. I was taking the bc you can take when nursing, but decided to stop taking it awhile ago (not bc I want to get pregnant, I don’t, but just bc I was sick of taking it), and we just use condoms. I seem to feel fine, and I’ve had my sex drive coming back about 2 months ago. I hope you see a difference, when you have it taken out tomorrow! :)

Amber March 29, 2010 at 7:26 pm

I used to be on the pill, and while I never had any major issues, I just didn’t want another system wide hormone running through me. “They” swear IUD’s are localized, but these zits tell me otherwise :-(

Might be nice to have a sex drive, I’m sure Peter would appreciate it. Kinda sucks having a “foolproof” BC, and not wanting to use it!

Baby in Broad March 29, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Yeah, I’m SO over my IUD.

Why-oh-why can I not find a safe, user-friendly, hormone-free, hassle-light (I’ll take *some* hassle at this point), EFFECTIVE form of birth control?

If men got pregnant, we would have this shit figured out by now.
.-= Baby in Broad´s last blog ..Spring Gleaning =-.

Amber March 29, 2010 at 7:28 pm

Sing it sister! I’m so sick of having to deal with this. I’ve been on the pill since I was 15 (period related issues). I don’t want any more drugs in me.

I really really really think I never ever want another baby, but not enough to get Peter snipped :-/

Allison March 29, 2010 at 6:23 pm

I really, reaaaally wanted to get an IUD, but after reading everything people have been going through, I’m definitely not going to get one. They sound absolutely horrible. But now I have no idea what kind of birth control we’re going to use now. Blarrr!
.-= Allison´s last blog ..thoughts that circulate in my head =-.

Amber March 29, 2010 at 7:32 pm

I wanted to love it. I did I swear. Have you considered any other hormonal options? Really wish I could just plug myself up :P

Zoey @ Good Goog March 30, 2010 at 2:03 am

I vote for the man pill. It’s about time they came up with something for the guys. Although the only way my husband would remember to take it would be if it was disguised as an energy drink.
.-= Zoey @ Good Goog´s last blog ..UN Ban on Smacking =-.

Amber April 1, 2010 at 10:20 am

You’d get my vote for that for sure! Though, Peter would never ever remember to take it. He can barely remember to take his allergy pills, and they make him feel better :-)

Allison Zapata March 31, 2010 at 8:18 am

Ugh. Totally feel you. I got an IUD after I had my son. Everyone told me they LOVED it! Like you said, I wanted to LOVE IT! Besides the spotting and constantly being so bloated, I just felt “off”. I did not feel like myself at all. I can’t really explain it??

I got it yanked and got on the pill, then felt bitchy and now I am on nothing!! I track my cycles online…so far so good, its been about a year of doing it. I am SUPER regular so that makes it easier to avoid fertile myrtle days :) Oh and my husband just gets wayyyy less sex now :)
I had been on the pill from when I was 16 till 29. Feel like my body needed a little break.

Oh and those precancerous cells…GOT EM :) (and im not trying to be better haha)
.-= Allison Zapata´s last blog ..Anything you can do, I can do better…. =-.

Amber April 1, 2010 at 10:23 am

I was on the pill for about the same amount of time as you, and I too needed a break. Though, I did take a break, and ended up preggo :P

I don’t know that I’d trust tracking my cycles, just because I got knocked up during one of those times when you’re not “supposed” to be able to.

I could just deal with abstinence, lol!

the Grumbles April 5, 2010 at 12:50 pm

I had mine put in in November and I’ve been questioning it ever since. It hurt like HELL to put in. Luckily I haven’t had any of the spotting like you’ve had but (TMI alert) my sex drive has tanked. I’ve heard that the combo of breastfeeding + mirena can totally kill it. I think about having it taken out all the time but it’s already paid for so I’m toughing it out, at least a little bit longer…
.-= the Grumbles´s last blog ..happy easter, friends =-.

Amber April 6, 2010 at 9:53 am

Mine hurt really bad going in too! UGH NEVER AGAIN. No worries about the TMI, I have no sex drive either. Though, like you said, still breastfeeding probably doesn’t help. One question, did you get your period back before you had it inserted? I didn’t, and the doc said that’s probably why it hurt so bad…things just aren’t as pliable down there till after you get at least on cycle in after having a baby.

I felt guilty about paying for it and having it out so soon. But, I guess I actually had it for long enough so that it would have cost about the same amount as BC pills for that length of time (depending on the brand). My insurance covered most of it, so we only had $100 out of pocket overall.

the Grumbles April 6, 2010 at 10:06 am

Nope- no period before I had it put in and still no period since (besides some minor spotting right after insertion).

My insurance covered it completely except $20! Super awesome! …and then my insurance provider switched and now barely anything contraceptive is covered at all. I’d love to be able to cut out contraceptives all together and do charting as some women are able to, but I’m a “one-hit pregnancy wonder” so that would be incredibly dangerous for our family planning. ;)
.-= the Grumbles´s last blog ..happy easter, friends =-.

Amber April 6, 2010 at 10:16 am

Same here, just some spotting. Did get it back (I think..had cramps at least) after having it taken out. Only lasted 2 days though…so who knows. Still breastfeeding just about full time sooooooo my body might still be playing tricks :-)

That is SUPER awesome insurance. Mine would have been cheaper if it was my insurance plan covering it, rather than my prescription plan. I could have paid out of pocked and submitted it to Aetna but didn’t want to chance it. Should have done it though since we had already met our maximum and were being covered 100% by then!