Forming a Sisterly Bond Through Baby Sign Language

by Amber Stiles on May 7, 2012

When Alexa was a baby we decided not to try teaching her Baby Sign Language.  I had too much on my hands with my mini “cling-on” and was just a tad overwhelmed during the prime BSL period (6 months to a year old).  Alexa was also super duper awesome at letting us know what she wanted.  I’m not sure if it was baby ESP or if I just put her to the boob whenever she fussed, but somehow I was always able to meet her needs without much issue.

I’ve been toying with the idea of teaching Emma just for fun.  She’s such a chill baby I have a bit more time on my hands so why not?  When my good friend Emily posted about Smart Hands I immediately downloaded the free app on my phone.  I trust Emily’s judgement and recommendations implicitly, especially regarding things for kiddos, since she’s doing such an amazing job momming her sweet Poppy.

I showed Alexa the Smart Hands app and she LOVED it.  I knew right then and there we would all do this together.  I’m going to purchase the full version of the app and play with Alexa with it.  If only I could figure out a way to get it on the TV?  Will have to get Peter to work on that one.  Maybe the tablet is a better place for the paid version?

I want us to know the signs so once Emma is nearing 6 months old it will be second nature to us.  I really think Alexa will get a kick out of teaching her baby sister something.  It will give them something new to bond over and do together.  Emma already adores her big sister so I’m pretty sure she’ll learn best from her as well :-)

Patricia May 7, 2012 at 6:40 pm

What a genious idea ~ not only are you giving Emma a way to let you know what she wants, but you’re giving Alexa a chance to be part of the whole process ~ so she’s not left out at all but being the big sister. Good for you!

Amber Stiles May 13, 2012 at 2:53 am

Thanks! I think it will be a really good way to spend some quality time with my eldest this summer. We were doing some Preschool at Home stuff last fall while I was pregnant and it fell to the wayside. Maybe this will help us get our groove back!

Melissa May 7, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Amber! Your website looks amazing!!!! I love the new look.

Amber Stiles May 13, 2012 at 2:53 am

Thanks Melissa :-) I’m still having it tweaked but I love the overall feel!

Stacey Donaldson May 7, 2012 at 11:52 pm

I think teaching babies sign language is awesome! I wish I had thought to do it when my daughter was younger (she’s nearly 17 now), it would have been an awesome experience for both of us. Kudos to you!

Visiting from the SITS Spring Fling :-)

Amber Stiles May 13, 2012 at 2:56 am

Welcome from SITS. Thanks for stopping by.

I sometimes wish I had done it with my first, but she got so much of me that I’m sure she’s hasn’t missed out. It’s hard balancing the fine art of mom guilt LOL.

Jayme May 8, 2012 at 4:13 am

That’s a wonderful idea Amber! :) That would definitely help your girls to have a very strong bond. Sign language looks interesting, will keep it in mind if ever my husband and I decide to have another baby.

Visiting from the Spring Fling and it’s so nice to meet you! :)

Amber Stiles May 13, 2012 at 2:57 am

Thanks for the SITS visit!

I’m so happy that my eldest is interested in learning it and hopefully in teaching it to her sister :-)

Adrienne May 8, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Very cool. If I had another baby I would so do this. I didn’t with my boys, and sort of wished I had. Even just for the experience. Found your blog from SITS spring fling and twitter. :)

Amber Stiles May 13, 2012 at 2:59 am

Thanks for the SITS visit…I’m happy we found each other :-)

I’m actually really looking forward to learning it myself. I’m told that learning a second language is good for mental development at any ate, and ASL counts! Maybe we’ll eventually tackle Vietnamese since that’s Peter’s ethnicity.

Mindi May 21, 2012 at 2:36 am

Let me know if you have any questions about starting. I teach a lot of parents the basic signs (that’s about all I know!). Xander learned really quickly as a baby and now is helping teach Noah. It’s super cute to watch! It’s so nice for them to be able to communicate their needs before they can verbalize them!