Coconut Oil – Good For Your Body – Inside and Out

by Amber Stiles on May 23, 2012

It’s true, I’ve finally jumped on the Coconut Oil bandwagon.  A few months ago I saw this Jenna Marbles blog post on coconut oil.  I love her and she made this super crunchy thing seem very approachable.  You know I’m a bit of a wanna be hippie so this shouldn’t surprise you.  I watched many of my Twitter friends dive head first into the whole shebang.  Coconut oil for the insides and outsides of their bodies.  Some put it in smoothies, some lathered their skin in it.  Some seasoned users even baked with it.

Coconut OilI waited and waited and then I forgot about it.  That was until my Emma started getting full body rashes.  I don’t want to go the Aquaphore route if I can help it, especially if it turns out to be eczema like Alexa had.  This weekend I finally placed my Amazon order for some  Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil.  Now I have two big tubs of it to use.  One tub will be for external use and one will be for internal.

Today I broke into it to give Emma a full body rub down.  Baby massages are awesome but even better when you know you’re using  a product that is super safe for their sensitive skin.  I had used olive oil last week for the same reason but that gets messy.  Coconut oil is solid at room temperature so it’s much easier to use.  I rubbed it on my hands and arms while we were at it…then a little on my face.   It doesn’t feel greasy!  It absorbs like any other moisturizer only it keeps my skin feeling soft for far longer.  I’ll keep you posted on the state of Emma’s super dry rashy skin.  Hope this helps!

As for the inside of my body.  Well I cooked with it today.  I used coconut oil in place of butter for frying my egg.  It tastes a little tropical (heh) but you don’t notice it much.  I’m going to give it a shot in my smoothie tomorrow and then in place of butter the next time I make oatmeal cookies.  Here are some of the health benefits.

Have any of you used coconut oil for skin care or nutrition?  I can’t wait to use it to take off my eye make up next time I get done up.  I’m told is the best remover out there.

allisonthemeep May 23, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Coconut oil is so great in cooking and baking! I like to roast vegetables with it in the oven, use it in popping popcorn (and as a topping), and in place of butter on a potato.

Also, when Audrey was super tiny and new, she got some really wicked diaper rashes and I was mixing up these crazy hippie concoctions to cure it. Recently she got a slight flare up, and I just rubbed coconut oil on it, and that worked perfectly since it’s anti-fungal and makes a good barrier. It’s magical stuff!

Amber Stiles May 23, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Does it not taste kind of weird in things that should be really savory? It did have a bit of a sweetness to it that was a tad strange in my eggs, though I could barely notice it by the time I was half way through.

I’ve read that it’s great for anything that needs an antifungal. Apparently it’s just pure magic. It made my narsty elbows feel nice again. I need to get some smaller containers so I can split it up and take it with me. If on it was a natural sunscreen then it would truly be an all in one LOL!.

Claudia May 23, 2012 at 8:11 pm

I have heard about it for the skin-care route, but I have heard conflicting things about using it on your face skin. Some people have written that it clogs pores and causes black heads, others say that they use it instead of moisturizer and love it, so for that I don’t know what to think.

Amber Stiles May 23, 2012 at 8:22 pm

I think it might be too greasy for me to use as a moisturizer during the day, but I think it would be good at night. I bet it works wonders on dry feet in the winter!

allisonthemeep May 24, 2012 at 1:29 am

I read the thing about it clogging pores, but I started using it to wash my face at night, and I really like it. Rub a little oil on, remove with a warm washcloth, and that’s it. I don’t wear night moisturizer anymore.

Amber Stiles May 24, 2012 at 1:36 am

How long did it take you to get to the point where you no longer needed night moisturizer?

allisonthemeep May 24, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Hmmm. I think it happened pretty quickly. My skin was getting really dry and gross too, and it only took a week or two to completely turn it around.

erica May 23, 2012 at 10:45 pm

I have used it before as, uh… *ahem*, a, uh…. lubricant.

As for cooking, Liz made chocolate cookies with coconut oil and they were deLISH. Ask her for the recipe!

Amber Stiles May 24, 2012 at 1:37 am

HEHE I heard that was a use for it ;D

I’ll ask Liz for sure. I’ve been baking for real for real lately and I’d love to find a new recipe to try!

Noelle May 24, 2012 at 2:36 am

On my face, I use coconut oil as a substitute for cold cream. (I love me some Pond’s but have you read the ingredients on that stuff? Yikes!) And since we’re getting all personal, it’s great for hemorrhoids.

Amber Stiles May 24, 2012 at 2:45 am

Ha, no I’ve never read the ingredients but I can only imagine it’s full of nasties. I’m excited to put on makeup one of these days just to take it off ;D

Kristen @ The Preppy Girl in Pink May 24, 2012 at 3:29 am

We just bought some about two weeks before Bloggy boot camp. I’ve been using one jar on my feet & I love the difference that it has made. I don’t know why I haven’t moved up to my legs, arms & hands. I will though now. My husband has been using the other jar for popping popcorn (which we eat a lot of in this house). I don’t notice the coconut taste & neither do my girls but my husband says he can. He just doesn’t mind it, apparently because he keeps using it. Hope Emma’s rash clears up! You’re a good mommy to try something more natural for her & I’m sure she loves the baby massage!

Kelly May 24, 2012 at 4:49 am

I love coconut oil, but I actually had a bad reaction to using it on my face, so I cut dat bullchit out. My favorite thing to do with it, body wise, is put it on my feet at night and then put socks on. My feet will feel super soft in the morning.

Beware of putting it in your hair. I thought it would make my hair shiny and soft. I put a fairly small amount in my hair when it was still wet one night, and I woke up with such greasy hair that I had to re-wash it, and it was STILL greasy.

It’s also good on pancakes, or use that instead of oil or butter in the pan when you are cooking pancakes.

Christine @ Love, Life, Surf August 9, 2012 at 1:05 am

So I’ve been mainly thinking about using coconut oil on my skin (I did use some in muffins recently) but my eczema is getting crazy bad and my skin is just in the crapper. Now I’m convinced to give it a try. Funny thing – you know how coconut oil is supposed to be solid at room temperature? Well, not so much in our house. It has liquified because it’s so hot!! :-) Thanks for pointing me to this. Would love to hear how it helped Emma’s skin too.