Running For Real This Time – KT Tape

by Amber Stiles on June 12, 2012

I’ve had some form of ankle pain pain for about 2 years now.  I know I know I should’ve had it checked out when it first started, but I ignore my own needs like that.  HA.  It really only became an issue when I started running two Summers ago.  Before then it was more annoying than anything else.

So I was running and getting ok at it, then the ankle went out for real.  Apparently I have pernoeal tendinitis.  So my only choice was to basically run until I couldn’t go any further and then limp home.  I guess I could go in for some treatment, but I’m nursing and afraid I’ll have to get surgery.  I also do feel like being out of commission with an infant and a 3 year old at home.  Sensible?  I dunno.

Last week I was getting desperate.  I want to run.  I need to run.  Well I need to train if I’m going to make it through my races this summer.  So I reached out on Twitter and Amanda from Run to the Finish answered back that I should try KT Tape.   I looked it up and was totally skeptical.  I mean, yeah right.  Little strips of medical tape are supposed to make all the pain subside?  Voodoo strips LOL.

KT Tape Ankle WrapThe first time I tried them I wrapped for “ankle stability”.  I went to the gym and ran for 15 minutes straight.  I ran further and longer than I had in years.  I think two miles is really my max from the past and I’m getting close to that.  Even better, when I stopped I wasn’t in pain. I could have gone further!  It didn’t hurt to walk, I just needed to stop to go food shopping LOL.

This means that even if I can’t run my next race full out, I’ll be able to finish it….even if that means walking.  I’m ok with that.  I mean I did just have a baby 4 months ago and I was on bed-rest for the last few months of the pregnancy.  I am slowly regaining my ability to get into shape and I’m thrilled!

nadja June 12, 2012 at 7:37 pm

I’m in absolute awe of anyone that can run. I want to do it so bad but I think I’ve mentally stopped myself. It’s too hard! Too intense!! So I just chill on the elliptical.

Amber Stiles June 13, 2012 at 3:54 pm

It’s scary. I mean it looks natural, then you do it and you feel like Phoebe ;D
You should give the couch25k program a shot, it’s really mild training. DOOOOOOOOOoo eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Amanda @RunToTheFinish June 12, 2012 at 7:49 pm

YEAAH!!!! I am so excited to hear it worked for you!!!! I hope the stability keeps helping and you can get the strength back to run longer

Amber Stiles June 13, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Yes I would love to be able to run for an hour straight. That’s my Summer goal. I really want to sign up for a “real” race this Fall :-)

Jim Jenson June 14, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Great post Amber. So exciting that you’re running again. Thanks for posting and the shoutouts on twitter!

Amber Stiles June 20, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Thanks for stopping by! Awesome customer service. I can’t wait to order my next roll. Going with the pro version this time!

Brook March 12, 2013 at 5:45 pm

Hey there! I’m going through the ankle running pains right now (actually writing this from my couch with an ice pack on my right ankle) and I’ve only seen a little bit about using the KT tape for support and pain relief. How did you tape your ankle? I have no idea what the technique is and would live to hear your method! I’m currently training for the MD Natural Resources Police fitness test coming up in May so I don’t want to be out of commission for too long but I don’t want to wind up hurting myself either!

Namiah Wuebold November 22, 2013 at 10:50 am

I’m currently dealing with this, where can I find this tape? I live on an Air force base on Guam so my stores are limited, but I’m curious where you purchased it?