Sensitive Baby Skin

by Amber Stiles on June 13, 2012

Crap! That’s all I really have to say about this.  Emma has eczema.  I was really hoping it was just a rash from some overly smelly detergent mixed with sensitive baby skin.  I was hoping the scaly skin on her  baby leggies was just the rash drying up and healing.  I was really trying to treat everything naturally.  Coconut oil was helping her dry skin.  But then….

I noticed the little red bumps on the dry leg patches.  Then her whole body was getting red.  I was slathering on aquaphor like a mo-fo.  Poor little itchy baby.  Then her neck started weeping.  Off to the pediatrian we went.

I wanted to confirm it was indeed eczema and wasn’t getting infected.  The doc confirmed, I was right :-/  and gave me a script for some antibiotic cream for her neck and instructed to use hydrocortisone cream on her body twice a day and to continue the aquaphor.

That night her neck dried up.  The next day she was 90% clear. Today it’s like it was never there.  Even her legs are almost as smooth and soft as, well, a baby!  She looks so much more comfortable and feels all smooth and sweet.  Here’s to hoping it doesn’t flare back up.

Here’s the crap.  Because of Alexa’s history we’re going to just assume that Emma has a dairy intolerance.  That means no more dairy for ME!  Crap.  I JUST found a yogurt I like.  I’m on a diet that includes many smoothies.  So for the next 3 weeks to a month no milk products.  Then I’ll add some back in and see if she flares up.  If not, I can go back to eating normally…if so…then none for me for who knows :-/  It’s worth it for my sweet little baby, but a bit of a jab since I just started eating healthy for real, and enjoying it!  Sweet sweet irony or something.

Claudia June 13, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Are you able to incorporate nut milks at all into your smoothies to replace the dairy? Or is there a nut allergy in the family you need to be cognizant of? Or even rice milk might work out for you. I hope it’s not a dairy intolerance, there’s dairy in so much stuff.

Amber Stiles June 13, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Yeah, I just need to get to the store to get some. I had stocked up last week on all the Greek yogurt goodies :-( I’ll most likely just get so coconut milk yogurt for smoothies and some soy or rice milk for cereal and the like. Blargh!

And to top it all off, Alexa FINALLY likes regular milk so we haven’t had to buy soy milks for her. So dumb, hope it’s just for a month.

Little Big / Carrie Anne June 13, 2012 at 6:56 pm

Allergies are so frustrating, for Mama and baby. :( Hang in there!

Amber Stiles June 20, 2012 at 6:37 pm

I have no idea if it’s really milk and I’ve been sucking at not eating it. Finally went to Whole Foods for some substitutes so this week should be easier. I did have real ice cream last night and she’s flared up today. Not sure if it happens that fast or if it’s possibly the nasty heat (since that seems to set it off too). Either way I need to just do it for real and figure it out.

Whitney June 14, 2012 at 2:36 am

Poor Emma and mom! Now Claudia has a point, I use almond milk now, and in my smoothies. Good luck to you.

Amber Stiles June 20, 2012 at 6:37 pm

I got some coconut milk and coconut milk yogurt for this week’s smoothies!

Talking Thirty June 22, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Poor Emma! Baby C has mild eczema, too, and we thought for sure he would have a dairy intolerance and other food allergies (because pretty much all of his second cousins do and they also have eczema), but we were pleasantly surprised to find that he doesn’t. He drinks milk and eats cheese like a champ! Hope the same is true for lil Emma.