Medifast Fitness Plan – Week 1

by Amber Stiles on July 16, 2012

First and foremost I’d really like to give thanks to all the amazing Medifast bloggers that have helped me come to this decision. You are all so inspirational!

I had never heard about Medifast before reading The Turnip Farmer.  I stumbled onto her blog via Twitter and what I found was a plethora of inspiration.  GO, read for yourself (after you read this of course)!

When I decided to give the Medifast fitness plan a try I was a little worried.  It is a fairly low calorie plan and I’m breastfeeding.  I can’t cut calories that severely while I’m providing nourishment for my baby.  You see…they’ve already thought of that.  While the traditional plan of 5:1 (5 of the Medifast foods and 1 “lean & green” meal) is what most of my new friends are using, I’ll be doing something closer to the maintenance program.  They have the whole thing outlined in the Medifast Breastfeeding Program.

Here’s a note about losing weight while breastfeeding.  It’s generally accepted that you should NOT lose more than 2 pounds a week while nursing an infant.  Especially before they’re eating anything other than mother’s milk.  I’ve had NO issues with milk supply as prove by Emma’s wonder weight gain every month!  I’m going to try to push the weight lose a bit more, but nothing too extreme.  I need my calories just to function and Emma takes about 500 of them a day.

I’m also logging my calories and activity on My Fitness Pal.  Add me, BackwardsLife, over there if you like.  It’s yet another social network, but for fitness motivation!  I love it because it has almost every single food you can imagine, including of course Medifast meals! It also has a mobile app – which is what I use more often than not.  It even lets you scan barcodes to enter foods.

Lastly I’m quitting the gym.  Sounds counter productive right?  Well yes it would be if it weren’t for the fact that we’re getting a new elliptical!  It’s actually due to arrive today!  Hopefully Peter can get it put together ASAP so we can all start working out while the kiddos are otherwise occupied.  It seems like the best option for both of us since Peter works too much to really ever get to the gym and dragging 2 kids there sounds like the opposite of motivation to me.  I’m also toying with the idea of doing a Stroller Strides class with the county parks department.  I can bring both kiddos and we all get outside and active at least twice a week.

Ok, so let’s get down to it.
Weight loss breakdown – here we go!

Week 1: -2.6lbs
Total: 2.6lbs gone forever!

Mamaintheburbs July 16, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Amber – first off congratulations on the weight loss! Can you explain the diet to me? Do you buy the shakes and have them throughout the day and then a sensible dinner? Can you have any snacks? I’m too lazy to google the diet. I want to hear about your experience;)

Amber Stiles July 16, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Well I’ll go into more detail about what I’m eating exactly next week…but yes it’s a food delivery system. Since I’m nursing I use about half my own food rather than 5 of their meals and just one of mine.

Since I can add in fruits, dairy, and some complex carbs (not the norm for people who aren’t a food source LOL) it’s more of a “normal” calorie counting plan. I like it because I can drink a shake for breakfast and not think about food until 2 hours later when I’m due to eat again. I also love that the bars are “desserty” since I have a sweet tooth. I need to have chocolate ;D

Generally though, you would have 5 of their meals, eating every 2-3 hours. As well as one of your own lean meat and 3 servings of veggies. You can have this self made meal at any time, doesn’t have to be dinner. You can also split it in half if you’d like to add in some veggies to your medifast foods.

I don’t know all the details of the regular plan, but there are a TON of blogs out there dedicated to modifying the foods to make them into something different as well.

Noelle July 16, 2012 at 6:12 pm

“People who aren’t a food source”—I love it!

Mamaintheburbs July 16, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Thanks Amber! I will have to read ore about it. I just started back at the gym but NEED to go on a diet plan ASAP.

Amber Stiles July 16, 2012 at 4:08 pm

You’re more than welcome. Next week I’ll talk about my healthy cooking kick (that I’m totally enjoying…Brussels Sprouts WHO KNEW lol).

Jessica July 17, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Congrats on the loss AND on the new elliptical machine! I’m so excited to read about your progress and hope you blog about it regularly.

When my son was itty bitty, going to the gym was nearly impossible. I eventually bought a jogging stroller and he STILL loves getting in that thing (he is 4 now) while I exercise! He’s a rockstar and a slave driver “go faster mommy”. :) But, the whole weight loss thing “clicked” with me once I started Medifast. 39 lbs later, I feel amazing!

Keep up the great work!

Amber Stiles July 19, 2012 at 3:37 pm

We have a jogger too, but Emma’s not big enough to sit in it yet. I don’t like mine though since it has a fixed wheel. I’m just not a serious enough runner to need that, but didn’t think about it when I bought it :-/

Denise July 17, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Looks like it was a good week!

Amber Stiles July 19, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Hope I didn’t screw this week. I ate a little crappy. Saturday will tell me!

Jill July 18, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Congrats! Great loss in week 1. I look forward to following your progress.

Amber Stiles July 19, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Thanks. I’m not gonna lie, I’m totally jealous of the non nursing ladies losing 5+ a week, but slow and steady is the only way to keep me AND my baby healthy :-)

Shannon August 15, 2012 at 2:51 pm

So, how did the plan go? I did medifast 5&1 two years ago and lost a bunch of weight which I kept off until baby was born in June. I would love to hear an update! Thanks!