How Do I Play With My Baby?

by Amber Stiles on July 19, 2012

Emma is rounding the corner to 5 months and she wants to PLAY.  I mean, as much as a baby can play for real…for real?  I hang out with her all day but I don’t really remember how to play with an infant.  I don’t know what to do with her a lot of the time.

I think part of it is because Alexa never really played as a baby.  I had to be her full time entertainment.  That usually consisted of me sitting in front of her, on the floor, while she was in her bouncer.  I made stupid faces, played peekaboo, showed her that her activity bar did stuff.  Took a whole boat load of pictures.  But really, that was about it.

Babies love scarvesEmma isn’t contented with mere baby tricks.  She actually wants to do things with her toys.  She doesn’t have the dexterity down to really use them properly, but girlfriend will go to town on anything she can shove in her mouth.  She thoroughly enjoys chewing the crap out of things.  She also kind of sorta enjoys tummy time and playing by herself on the activity mat.

I’ve read all of the parenting sites.  I know babies are supposed to dig having feathers and silky scarves rubbed over their tummies.  They like the smell pretty flowers.  They like to experience sensation.  But really, that’s like saying I like my food to have  a taste.  I can only play with my treasure trove of scarves before we both get terribly bored.

I’m starting to miss the days of being trapped on the couch nursing 18 hours of the day.  I guess once the weather breaks we’ll be out on many many many walks.  There’s only so much time I can spend on my play room floor handing a baby back a slobbery Sophie :-)

Mamaintheburbs July 19, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Have you thought about starting a music class for you and Emma? Right around 5-6 months old I took Sylvia to a class called Music Together & we’ve been going ever since. She loved the music, the dancing and the interaction with the other babies in the room. I know you have Alexa but what about when she is in camp or school? I never took
a mommy and me class bc I had a bad experience w one. But that can also be an option. Some of them even have baby yoga! I bet Emma would love that! Anyway sounds like your lil one loves stimulation and music is the perfect answer. Have your own dance party everyday at the house! Those are always fun. Love your blog and glad Tracy introduced us. Keep writing! You have me hooked.

Amber Stiles July 19, 2012 at 3:33 pm

I have toyed with a music class idea. Possibly in the Fall. We do these “toddler hikes” through the parks department so we’ll be out of the house, though those are more for Alexa. I’ll see what they have to offer for itty bitty babes. Emma will be 6 months when they start so it’s a good time.

In a few weeks when camp is over we’ll be doing a stroller strides class, for me, but at least they’ll both be out of the house with me and around other kids!

Thanks for the reminder and the compliment!

allisonthemeep July 20, 2012 at 2:41 am

Seconding the Music Together class. Julian loved that when he was tiny. When the weather is better, just hanging out at the park on a big blanket is a good way to spend time with a baby.

It’s hard though. Babies are so cute, but can be pretty boring to hang out with. Heh.

Amber Stiles July 20, 2012 at 2:51 am

I need to find something that will take both kiddos (or a class that happens to run while Alexa’s in school). Waiting for the count parks and rec book to come out on Aug 10th :-)

I think part of my issue is that I haven’t hung out with anyone other than Emma and Alexa during the day for a few months. I need friends and play-dates again (but camp and after camp naps take up the entire day!).

Kristen @ The Preppy Girl in Pink July 20, 2012 at 8:46 pm

We took lots of walks but the weather is yucky right now…so you can’t do that. We also took one of those Gymboree classes and a Kindermusik class. I also looked for free library programs that were good for my older daughter and my youngest just loved people watching while we were there. Also, playdates (the ones more for the mommies than the babies…so awesome!)

Amber Stiles July 29, 2012 at 8:07 pm

I’m looking into Gymboree classes for the babe while the kid is in school in the Fall!
OOOOH and yes the library. Forgot about that one. We used it tons last year!

Kristen July 22, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Girl – head to a consignment shop. Grab some xylophones with lights and make music together. A piano and a drum and you have your own mommy and me. Big blocks are good, a mirror is good … And try this: a mirror on the floor and streamers from a ceiling fan. Fascinating for hours. Good luck – you are right. 5 months is a tough age. Alexander has been stuck there forever. xo

Amber Stiles July 29, 2012 at 8:08 pm

We have tons of instruments from Alexa. I just have to get used to playing with them LOL. I really really want to get out of the house and meet some new people as well.