Medifast Dropout

by Amber Stiles on July 29, 2012

It’s over.  I’m a quitter.  I’m a Medifast dropout.  It just wasn’t for me.  That doesn’t mean I’m done trying to get back to my old self.  It just means I’ll have to try a different way.

Medifast Didn’t Fit My Needs

• First, I don’t like the taste of anything other than the bars and the shakes.  So basically…I felt like they were just “free” snacks.  Starting the day with something sweet sets me off wrong.  I need to feel like I’m starting with something healthy.  It’s one of the reasons smoothies never satisfy me first thing in the morning for me.
  • Second, I never felt full from any of the foods.  Right now, while I’m nursing basically 24/7 still, I wake up STARVING.  Yes, sure, I could eat a lean protein meal for breakfast, and I do, but I don’t need the shake too.
  • Third, If I can snack on fruit what’s the point of using Medifast meals as snacks?  Of course they’re low in calories and high in vitamins, but I’d rather have a bowl of strawberries than a small bar.
  • Fourth, I think all the diet “chemicals” (ie: artificial sweeteners) were making me feel zappy and shaky.  I’ll keep my chemicals in soda form.  Pass the Coke Zero LOL.

Ok so that’s why I don’t want to be on this plan any longer.  So what will I do going forward?  I guess I’ll go back to just trying to eat “clean”.  I’ve been feeling like a failure since I wasn’t dropping weight on the plan (my fault not its) but I was also feeling obsessive.  Like I was heading towards the wrong goal.

For now I need to stop weighing myself.  Stop obsessing about my current size.  Stop worrying about how I look and focus on how I feel.  I feel like shit lately.  Even more so than before the diet.  Mentally I’m torn to bits over “letting myself go”, but I also need to remember that I HAVE to stay healthy and energized to take care of two kids.

I need to get back to basics.  I need to shop the perimeter of the store.  I need to eat healthy whole foods.  I need to SLEEP more.  I need to drink more water.  I need to get off my ass and work out.  I need to make fitness a goal rather than weight loss.  I need to focus on the positive.  I need to stop hiding and start living again.

ilene July 29, 2012 at 7:45 pm

I love your honesty and totally applaud you for taking the food and fitness route. Bravo!

Amber Stiles July 29, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Thank you! I hate to feel like I failed yet another “diet” but I have nothing to feel sorry for. You try things, and you keep what works and get rid of what doesn’t. Thankfully I’m still happy to include all the healthful choices I’ve been making for the past few months. Those will only make me feel better on the inside and out!

christina July 29, 2012 at 10:29 pm

my son is turning 6 in a month and have only lost 20 pounds! i have had to come to the conclusion that this 36 yo body will never look like a prekid body!!!!! i know what i am doing is healthy for me and by no means am i over weight, just not prekids. i spend my time at the store reading labels, a year ago i decided to go natural, i have cut out all food color, preservatives, corn syrup in any form, and when i read the label i have to understand it. ok so i am still addicted to coke so i have one a day the rest water. i have my cheat times but for the most part…healthy. i truly believe all the chemicals do harm us maybe not right away but i feel they will. once you cut the crap out and you cheat your body will feel it!!!!! on top of that my son is gluten free to help some of his autistic behaviors…it clams him down and helps him focus more. when i do let him eat gluten he goes crazy bouncing off the walls!!! good luck with your food journey and if you have any questions on mine feel free to message me anytime!!!!

Amber Stiles July 30, 2012 at 1:20 am

Ha, so 6 years is the time limit then? Sounds good to me ;D You look fantastic though Chrissy! And all that running is amazing.

I’ve made a lot of healthful changes to my diet as a whole, I just adore junk food and got super lazy while I was pregnant (being SUPER sick then on bed-rest). Now 5 months later it’s hard to shake off the sloth like tendencies. One more month till Emma can go in the gym nursery and I can attempt to get back to my spin classes.

Till then I’m going to try to just really focus on the same things you listed. Real food instead of prepackaged processed chemicals masquerading as food.

Thanks for talking about this with me!

Diane July 30, 2012 at 12:26 am

Well – you gave it a try and obviously it wasn’t right. But you were honest about it – and know you need to try something else.

Amber Stiles July 30, 2012 at 1:21 am

Thanks Diane. I wanted it to be my magic bullet, but I’ll have to work a bit harder and just change my lifelong eating style rather than attempting another prepackaged diet plan.

allisonthemeep July 30, 2012 at 2:42 am

It’s awesome that you tried. And even more awesome that you are going to stick with something that you can live with long term. There are a lot of good websites that have healthy meal plans listed out for free, so finding tasty things that are also good for you isn’t such a chore.

Good luck with the new plan! I hope you start feeling like yourself again soon.

Amber Stiles July 30, 2012 at 2:45 am

That’s what Pinterest is for! So many many many yummies to test out. I’ve found some awesome ones already that are in my weekly rotation forever :-)

Dinner isn’t so bad, it’s the exhaustion that sets in midday that has me reaching for crap snacks. Or the weird mental hangup I have that makes me feel off if I don’t end the night with something sweet (and the inability to NOT eat the whole goddamn thing!).

But yes, adding healthy food in, instead of starving myself while eating processed “diet” foods is probably a better choice long term :-)

Galit Breen July 30, 2012 at 11:47 am

I’m so happy for you that you’re choosing something that works for you!

{When I started my weight loss, I realized that there were so, so very many good diets out there. But the only one that would work would be the one that was a good fit for my life right then.}

Good luck with this next step – I’m rooting for you from here!

Amber Stiles August 15, 2012 at 3:03 am

Thanks! I’m trying to be more active right now. That’s usually my best first step. The only “diets” that have worked for me in the past were basically eating disorders. I want to be healthy, but just thin. Working out makes me feel better too. Just one more week till the baby can go to the gym nursery!

Mamaintheburbs July 30, 2012 at 10:55 pm

Thanks for trying it out! Now I know not to try it;)

You will find something that works for you. If it is worth anything, I think you look great. Good luck with your next step.

Amber Stiles August 15, 2012 at 3:04 am

It may be something that you like, but it wasn’t at all for me. Apparenlty my mother loves it though LOL. I just gave her all my left over foods.

Thanks though. I just feel not like me, though I should give myself a break. Two kids is going to change how you feel day to day. I’ll come back to dieting when I’m not a food source and I’m sleeping again ;D