I’m Obsessed With Biracial Baby Pictures

by Amber Stiles on July 30, 2012

Here’s my confession, I’m completely obsessed with looking at pictures of biracial babies.  If I find a blogger that has half Asian kids  I will dig through her archives to find pictures of her kids at various ages.

I guess I want proof that my children have a chance of looking at least a little bit like me.  I also love to see other families that look like ours.

I’m self concious about looking like an outsider.  To me…the girls look way Asian.  Even if you take their very “white” looking hair and other various features…the eyes have it.  That slight tilt to the corners, the folds that dip in differently from mine…it tells the world that they’re indeed mixed.

Please don’t take this the wrong way.  Obviously I think the Asian people, men specifically, are attractive.  I did choose to date and have children with one heh!  I’m just sensitive that people think they look like “all Peter” rather than a “good mix”.

I guess it’s just a bit of motherly pride as I want people to make the connection when they see us together. I want to show off my beautiful baby girl. I want to tell strangers that I carried her in my womb for nine months and have the varicose veins to prove it. But I don’t. Instead, I casually mention in the conversation that my husband is Caucasian and hope that they make the connection. ~ Theresa on Off Beat Mama

To keep it fair, here’s a few pictures of my mixed kiddies!

biracial baby pictures

Christine @ Love, Life, Surf July 30, 2012 at 3:13 pm

You kids totally look like you. Mine looked more Asian when they were younger but now my oldest totally looks like my husband which, of course, makes me a little sad :-) I think mixed babies are beautiful (I’m not biased or anything).

Amber Stiles July 31, 2012 at 2:32 am

Thanks Christine. I think it’s funny you should say that because I think your boys look so much like you! Maybe we’re all just weirdly self concious regardless of mixed or same race.

Claudia July 30, 2012 at 3:56 pm

I know that your girls look so similar, but I think Emma favours you ever so slightly more than Alexa does. Although, there’ve been a few photos of Alexa that make me say “Yep, that’s all Amber, there!”

Amber Stiles July 31, 2012 at 2:34 am

Claudia I think you’re right. At least that seems to be what other people have to say about Emma. They also change daily.

I swear sometimes I look at Alexa and all I see is Peter (or his mother). It depends on her mood and the angle I’m looking at her.

I can say this with conviction though. She has MY feet :P

ilene July 31, 2012 at 2:18 am

People make all kinds of assumptions so I can see where this would matter to you. And I totally understand the motherly pride. It takes a lot to carry those babies. I have my “proof” too – LOL! BTW they are just gorgeous!

Amber Stiles July 31, 2012 at 2:36 am

It really shouldn’t matter because I am, without a doubt, their mother. I’ve never had anyone ask me if they’re adopted or anything jarring like that. Though…no one EVER asks what kind of white they are – but people (older ones in particular) will ask “what kind of oriental” they are. ACK!

Amber Stiles July 31, 2012 at 2:38 am

Oh and thank you. They’re cuties indeed. Whatever parts they got from Peter and I…they got the good ones!

Kristen @ The Preppy Girl in Pink August 1, 2012 at 2:16 am

I have several couple friends that are mixed races and a lot of them feel the same way…that their children will never resemble them but I think it comes from more than just genetics. I think you can see how children resemble parents in their facial expressions, the way they move, the way they create.
And no matter which parent your girls resemble more…they are STUNNING!!

Amber Stiles August 15, 2012 at 2:58 am

That’s a really good point. Alexa is totally my clone when it comes to temperment. Not the best thing to be honest because we’re both hot headed. Emma (who I’m told looks more like me) is Peter’s temperment match. She’s so chill. There’s a little of us in each girl, as it should be :-)

Jennifer Wai August 4, 2012 at 4:00 pm

It’s so nice to read this! I’ve been asked if my daughter was adopted, and I’ve also been asked if I was the nanny. I think it doesn’t surprise me because while my children are half Chinese with brown hair and eyes, I look very different with curly red hair and blue eyes. After high school biology, I pretty much figured they wouldn’t get any of my features. But I do think it’s true that as they age, they start to resemble me.
I always wonder what it’s like to have a mini-me as a parent. It’s an honest feeling, though of course I would t have it any other way. (plus, growing up as a redhead sucked :)

Amber Stiles August 15, 2012 at 3:00 am

I was so sad when I realized my blue eyes would never make it to my kids. Maybe their kids have a chance LOL. I’m thrilled that they look like each other though. Everyone will KNOW they are sisters, and in the end that’s more important than which parent they look like.

It’s funny though. You could pick apart both their features and find the most random things that definiately come from one of us. Like feet or toes or eyerbows ;D

Amanda February 28, 2013 at 3:19 am

Im pregnant now 9weeks in. I’m white and my husband is full Taiwanese. We’ve had a lot of, um, interesting outings in the area we live. Lets just say not everyone is biracial friendly. I’m a little nervous about when the baby is born. Any advice? I’m excited but the area we live in and around doesn’t have a lot of Asian influence. I want he or she to understand both sides of their culture. Advice is greatly needed

Jo January 17, 2014 at 3:34 am

Hi, I just came across your blog. I can totally relate to what you are talking about here.
I have two boys who are mix, my husband is Chinese and I am danish (though we live in Australia) Wired enough our boys doesn’t look that much mix. they got light brown hair and blue eyes, my oldest was very blond and light blue eyes when was toddler. My youngest looked so much an Asian when was baby but now just a little olive but not much. i will say though there is a rumor in my husband genetic line there should be some Russian blood and my husband is very fare of being Chinese. My husband has been asked several times if it’s his kids and looked at me for an approval or acceptation before have a further conversation with him ( people can really be qrueal sometimes) Now they are 4 and 5 ( there are 18m apart) and they totally look like each other, we often been asked if they are twins. witch is good and i like they have that kind of bond. I can’t really see myself in them but more my husband but my family thinks they look so much like me, but I just can’t see it. the only thing i can see is like they have few things from me like feet, nose, eye brows even my youngest have my grandpa ears scary enough exact like his ears!!

Meghan Mao March 22, 2014 at 10:56 pm

I just found your website and I am overjoyed! I initially thought “backwards life” referred to your flip-flop biracial setup, since we have had one of those too (exceedingly rare in the Midwest). My hubby is also from Vietnam, and we’ve been together 13 years. You have beautiful daughters!